My thoughts today drifted to some of the mixed blessings in life. Situations that somehow seem bad and good at the same time. This is, by no means, an exhaustive list. Please feel free to add to the list in the comment section below!
- Pain. Last week I hot glued my thumb. It hurt. A lot. The good part of this was that the pain of it reminded me not to hot glue my finger the next time I had the hot glue gun in my hand.
- Tourists. The area where I live has an annual pilgrimage of people that migrate here for the winter months. These people come here, drive poorly (some anyway), clog up our favorite restaurants. BUT while they are here they spend money and support local businesses. And the ones I’ve met are really nice people.
- Rain. If you have planned an outdoor event and the rains come it puts a damper (pun intended) on things. Farmers like it when it rains and waters the crops.
- Delays. I confess. I do not like waiting. I do see the value of delays even if I don’t like the process. There have been times when a delay has kept me from making a big mistake. It also gives me a chance to practice patience. Not fun but necessary.
- Lack of knowledge. When I’ve made decisions without doing thorough research I have gotten myself into some hot messes. A lack of knowledge can be good when it drives me to learn something new or ask for help.
- Change. Most people I know (myself included) don’t really like change. It’s hard to move to a different location, change jobs or attend a different place of worship. We’ve done all 3 and at the time it just feels sad. Good things have come as a result of the changes…sometimes much later.
- Exercise. When I first started doing zumba 3 years ago I felt pain where I didn’t even know I had muscles. I had some stamina and strength but nothing like today. The process isn’t always pleasant but the benefits outweigh the sacrifices of time and effort.
What would you add to this list?